Grizzly Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 660 griz with 1200miles. It has a aftermarket slip on muffler, prodesign foam filter and intake mod, rejetted carb, and flywheel weight mods. I have noticed it running very hot lately- my radiator is clean, oil is full and new- and fresh gas. It has a major loss of power and "bogs" at anything over 1/4 throttle. I took the airbox lid off and my air filter is melted, and so is the plastic slide in the carburator. The carb is junk! any ideas why this could have happened?? It has always ran great until this....

·
Registered
957 Posts
You recently make any changes to the bike? (exhaust, jetting, etc) Or has that been on there for a while?

When you say running hot, has the hot light been coming on lots, or the grizz is just running warmer than normal?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the hot light does not come on that I have noticed. I bought it used so dont have a lot to go off of. Anyone have some jet specs to go from so I have an idea of where I'm at?

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
You may want to pull your plug for inspection, if its running lean enough to melt things the plug will show it!... an excessivly lean condition is the only thing I can think of to cause the damage you describe :idk:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The spark plug was powdery black when I took it out and replaced it. anyone have some jet specs for my setup that would put me in the ballpark? Im thinking about rebuilding the carb and using a temp guage gun to see if coolant is in fact circulating the system....keep the ideas coming! thanks, Rick

·
Registered
957 Posts
Is exhaust leaking at the joint in the pipe (its about where the carb is) and blowing onto the carb?

Put your hand around there and feel for any exhaust, rev it up.

Also check that the muffler is bolted on tight, maybe its a bit loose and can move around, causing the joint to bend back and forth allowing exhaust to leek through only part of the time.

If it actually melted the plastic inside without having the hot light come on or having her puke up coolant, there is and issue somewhere directly causing excessive heat around your carb.

·
Mr.Procrastinator
308 Posts
powderly black... any white specs.. like salt and pepper?

the only thing I could guess/think of is your intake valves arent adjusted to spec letting some combustion come back...

·
Registered
100 Posts
no heat shielding on new exhaust directions should have mentioned to reuse heat shielding off stock pipe . mine did . so I heat wrapped it instead of using stock shields

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Is this a grizz you just purchase not too long ago, did you check the airfilter when you got it or is this the first time you've seen it. I had one like that on a honda that just diintergrated and crumpled when you touched it where it had not ran for a while. It looked like it melted also so it might have broke down an some of it went into your carb maybe causing these other issues maybe causing it to backfire in the carb and melting the slide etc. Just some other ideas to think about. just get carb repaired or replaced and see what you have then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not a single heat shroud was on the pipe and the joint between the headpipe and muffler is kinda loose. Im in the process of rebuilding the carb on getting some shrouds.......

·
Registered
957 Posts
Bingo! Get that exhaust system tightened up, as you learned exhaust heat can do nasty stuff!

·
Registered
100 Posts
forget the shrouds as you call them and go to the nearest auto parts store ( auto zone , cap , performance shop ) and buy some DEI header wrap & header wrap spray and wrap the entire exhaust system up till the muffler and your heat problems will be gone

1 - 13 of 13 Posts