Grizzly Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
aka Slick Rick
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This 3rd shift is driving me crazy. Got off this morning and said "hey what can I tinker with this morning" Well lets just put a shim in my little boys 350. Installed a 1mm shim and bolted everything back together and man was I surprised! Now i'm not doing wheelies by no means but I did notice that she wants to pull alot harder and hey I can even do doughnuts :bigsmile1: something that was really hard to do with the Outlaws. I didn't notice to much off the top but hey who's out racing 350's anyway? I would suggest that anyone wanting more low end to try this. I will be honest, after hearing so many talk about loosing top end, I was a little skeptical but you really don't notice that much. Ready for CAW on the 29th of July:boxing:

·
CTD Out!
7,584 Posts
Nice! If I didn't go the machined sheave route I would have just installed the shim and called it a day. I don't think I care that much about losing top end speed anymore. As long as I can hit mid to upper 40s on the trails we ride on I think it would be good. Not too many chances to run upper 50s anywhere usually (not safely anyways). I still have to add another .5mm but haven't felt a real "need" for it yet. Maybe after the pitbulls go on her I will want it though. Can't wait to hear your impressions on this and the MM clutch work after your ride.

·
Mountain rider
49 Posts
ok i am lost on this shim thing how does it work? is it a clutch kit or something different. I am getting some new kenda bearclaw htr but i dont know if i want to put a clutch kit or do this shim thing to my 350 any help would be nice thanks

·
"Diz"
1,731 Posts

·
Mountain rider
49 Posts

·
aka Slick Rick
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nfd, all the shim mod does is lower your gear ratio by using normally .5mm shim that goes between the fixed sheave and the roller bearing in your clutch. I am the one person that can honestly say that clutch kits are a waste of money! You can talk with other guys on here or myself and after trying different things and learning from there experiance, you can save yourself alot of money. After all I hold the title for THE MOST EXPENSIVE SECONDARY SPRING CHAMPION. Why you ask,,,,, because instead of asking questions I decided to jump on a clutch kit and after going through hel* installing it all I ended up using was the secondary spring. Give the shim a try, it's a very simple mod to do and then if you don't get the results your after then get some other ideas but you must be honest with yourself,,,, it's a 350 and can do only so much. I am very happy with my set up now.

·
Mountain rider
49 Posts
Thanks for the info scturkeyhunter1. I know the 350 isnt a power house by know means I just want to be able to turn my tires when i get some new shoes for it. Do you think a .5mm shim is good or do i need to go with 1mm shim? Just so you know i did the carb. spring mod on my 350 and you can notice a difference.

Reactions: SCTurkeyHunter1

·
"Diz"
1,731 Posts
Get the kit of .5mm - 1.5mm on ebay. Yamaha Grizzly 1.5mm shim mod 700,600,660,400,450,350 | eBay
That allows you to go .5mm, 1.0mm, or 1.5mm. I'd start with the 1.0 and see how you like it then decide if it's too much (drop to the .5mm) or you think it still needs more (add the .5 to go 1.5mm).

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
I like the shim in mine with changing weight. Now I will prolly do a spring and call it good for my clutch. Nice info sc

·
Girls can ride too!!
1,136 Posts
This 3rd shift is driving me crazy. Got off this morning and said "hey what can I tinker with this morning" Well lets just put a shim in my little boys 350. Installed a 1mm shim and bolted everything back together and man was I surprised! Now i'm not doing wheelies by no means but I did notice that she wants to pull alot harder and hey I can even do doughnuts :bigsmile1: something that was really hard to do with the Outlaws. I didn't notice to much off the top but hey who's out racing 350's anyway? I would suggest that anyone wanting more low end to try this. I will be honest, after hearing so many talk about loosing top end, I was a little skeptical but you really don't notice that much. Ready for CAW on the 29th of July:boxing:
We are so ready it isn't even funny!! Can't wait. Shawn installed shims on both of ours and we noticed a difference right away. The way ours it you know we don't really care too much for top end speed. We do like the lower end though. :laugh1:

·
Mountain rider
49 Posts
hey thanks for the link dizgrizz. when i get home in the morning i will get the shim kit on order. i will try the 1 mm first and go from there. hope it isnt to hard to install

·
Caught me ridin' dirty.
1,236 Posts
A little off-topic but...How much speed, percentage wise, are we supposed to lose with a shim? I never really opened my 550 up before putting in a 1mm shim, but recently down a stretch of blacktop between two trailheads I did get her up to an indicated 65mph. I was expecting her to max out in the mid- to upper-50 range, so I was pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
230 Posts
A little off-topic but...How much speed, percentage wise, are we supposed to lose with a shim? I never really opened my 550 up before putting in a 1mm shim, but recently down a stretch of blacktop between two trailheads I did get her up to an indicated 65mph. I was expecting her to max out in the mid- to upper-50 range, so I was pleasantly surprised.
65Mph with a shim mod ....

I feel ripped off.
My 700 only hits 65Mph on a good day downhill O0

·
"Diz"
1,731 Posts
nfd116, check out this excellent video how-to by Butch450 and the ModFather. It shows how to do a greaseless clutch and shim install on a 450 but all of the take-apart and put-back-together stuff is the same. Only difference is that you will not be taking your sheaves apart at all so you can ignore everything from 2:18 on in the first video.
http://grizzlyriders.com/forums/tec...-install-tech-video-yamaha-grizzly-450-a.html
Be sure to put pressure on the cam plate with your thumbs when removing the outer primary sheave (he pronounces it "shiv" but, whatever) just like the ModFather did at 2:08 and then place it face-down like he did...this will keep all of the weights from falling out and causing you to have to open the sheave to put them all back in place. Also be sure to keep the same pressure on the cam plate when you put the sheave back on. You will basically follow along until 2:18 in the part 1 video and then pick up at 3:42 of the part 2 video...you don't even need to remove your belt (unless it's old and you want to replace it while your there). You also won't need to pull your fixed primary sheave unless you want to do the Scotch-brite thing. If you do the Scotch-brite, be sure to clean the grease out of the center spline area and put a bit of new grease back in...the old stuff will be full of aluminum dust and Scotch pad bits (not good). Doing the Scotch-brite on the sliding (outer) sheave with all of it's guts in place would be quite a trick and you would need to keep the debris out of the weights area and the center bushing...if you go for that, I'd just do a cleanout and re-grease of the sliding sheave.

·
"Rock Spider"
358 Posts
65 WITH the shim? are you sure your speedo is accurate? before my clutch mods, i made some runs, and struggled to get my 700 above 50,but that was in the ditch, with some bumps and ruts, so a smooth run down the road would be different. After putting in my 1mm shim, UTV sheave,orange secondary and 18g greasless weights/cam plate, I did find a long run of trail in Wisconsin and tried a speed run. Still not a nice smooth road, but I did get up to 54 before having to back off for a rough section coming up. I know I do have 26" Mudlite XTRs, so if that is throwing off my speedo, I'm not sure, but I definately felt the "gearing down" effect of the shim, even in Hi range, it feels a lot more snappy on take off. Is yours stock tire/rim and only the shim mod? I would not be too happy with my quad if a 550 was able to go 10 mph or so faster than me......

·
"Diz"
1,731 Posts
nfd116, one other thing I feel I should mention; I'm not a real big fan of torquing down with air tools unless you have precision torque adapters. See this thread for some ideas on tools to hold you sheave while tightening your center nut with a torque wrench.

DU08Grizz, were you happy with your Grizz before you read ponti1's post?:tongueout: I think he has stock tires so his speedo is likely more accurate where yours will be reading a little low b/c of your oversize tires. Also, I'd bet ponti got his 65 on a nice smooth road.

·
Mountain rider
49 Posts
Thanks dizgrizz for the info i bought the shim kit off ebay today. cant wait to get it in and start working on my little grizz. and by the way my 350 will run 45 mph with stock tires and rims if that help yall out any

·
Mountain rider
49 Posts
Got the shim kit in today. Will put it in over the weekend or maybe take it to work with me Wed. cant wait to see if there is a change. :bigsmile1:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.