Grizzly Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like a fairly common fault on the Grizzly's. Just like Wessel, Have no spark. Have manual and followed Ignition Troubleshooting:
Checked out following: Spark Plug ( new) Ignition Coil (checked OK) Stator, Pickup and Source Coils (checked OK) Engine Kill Switch and Main Switch (checked OK and cleaned with electrical contact cleaner while apart), Continuity Check (found no problem, but the Reverse switch is bypassed). Still no spark, the troubleshooting guide I was using, lead to CDI. Expensive unit, but bit the bullet and replaced, Still no spark! Don't know what the Starting Circuit Cut-off Relay relates to the CDI, but see it has an input. The wiring diagram also shows a Diode that connects to the Starter Relay - can't locate! Any help would be welcomed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
im having the same exact problem with mine,its the same year and size it had a weak spark but now nothing, replaced the coil and plug with no luck.
i know those cdi boxes are expensive but i would like to know for sure what the problem is........did you have any luck with yours?

·
Registered
2 Posts
No spark

Bobber sez: Same problem with my 2001 600. Researching shows the same complaint for many years so has anyone an explanation for the most common reason for no spark? Was it a design flaw? BTW, nearby Yamaha dealer quoted $528 Canadian for a new CDI so I'm afraid to ask about a new stator. Going to do some electrical testing tomorrow but I'm curious why so many Grizzly owners have or had the same problem. My ride turns over merrily and all connections seem to be fine but the lack of spark is aggravating for sure. Bobber in Barrie

·
Registered
11 Posts
mine was the cdi box found one on ebay for about 200.00 u.s.a. buckaroos, fixed my no spark issue. there has to be a cross reference part that will work

·
Registered
2 Posts
The CDI box on my 2000 600 has an significant amount of small gravel or crystals imbedded in the rubber sealing material on the back of the box and it looks like it is original and not road gravel. Anyone explain its purpose? Yamaha wants $538 Cdn plus tax for a new one so I'm considering digging out the rubber sealer to examine the board to see if I can determine what went wrong with the unit. Everything else checks ok so I'm not losing anything by doing this and it would be nice if the electronics are fixable.... Fortunately, my old Timberwolf still runs perfectly but it would be nice to get the old Grizz running again. Thanks for your time. Bobber in Barrie

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seems like a fairly common fault on the Grizzly's. Just like Wessel, Have no spark. Have manual and followed Ignition Troubleshooting:
Checked out following: Spark Plug ( new) Ignition Coil (checked OK) Stator, Pickup and Source Coils (checked OK) Engine Kill Switch and Main Switch (checked OK and cleaned with electrical contact cleaner while apart), Continuity Check (found no problem, but the Reverse switch is bypassed). Still no spark, the troubleshooting guide I was using, lead to CDI. Expensive unit, but bit the bullet and replaced, Still no spark! Don't know what the Starting Circuit Cut-off Relay relates to the CDI, but see it has an input. The wiring diagram also shows a Diode that connects to the Starter Relay - can't locate! Any help would be welcomed.
On the pickup coil of the stator you can test the ohms and if that is in specs then switch to volts and spin the engine either with the starter or pull cord. You are looking for voltage to come from the coil as the magnet on the flywheel spins past it. If there is no voltage the magnet on the flywheel is bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts