Grizzly Riders Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm looking for some assistance here. My grandfather passed away recently and has left me a 2000 yamaha big bear 400 4x4. It has not run in at least 3 years. The battery is completely shot and I was not able to pull start it. I removed the fuel line from the carburetor and it was plugged solid with a build a green gum/varnish type material. After screwing with it for a while I finally got the carburetor removed and I took it apart and cleaned it. I also completely drained the fuel tank and replaced it with new fuel. After trying it for a while it did finally start after I boosted it with my truck. The problem is it is running so badly it won't stay running at an idle. If I hold the throttle open about 1/8-1/4 inch it runs great. If I try to go anymore it coughs,sputters and backfires terribly. On the same account if I try and let it idle it seems to idle so low it just dies. it will rev up with the choke closed but as I said it just backfires. I know that is caused by a lack of air to mix with the extra fuel. What I don't understand is why when I open the choke it wont rev up at all. It just dies if I try to give it any throttle. I remember riding this when I was younger and It was a great machine. It always started right up and idled perfectly. Obviously sitting for so long has taken its toll. I am wondering if the battery being so bad it is some how causing so sort of issue with trying to run it due to an electrical issue. Any ideas what I should try? I would prefer not to take it to have it checked out if I can but I guess as a last resort that is an option. Any help would be great. Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your carburetor jets are clogged because of the old gas. Carburetor needs to be fully disassembled, all jets and ports cleaned out with carburetor cleaner. Make sure gas tank has fresh gas, and gas runs out of fuel line with fuel cock on. Put it back together, go buy yourself some Seafoam from an autoparts store such as Autozone, add 1oz of seafoam to your fuel for every gallon of gasoline. This will clean out your fuel tank, lines, carburetor, and make it run like new again. Sorry about your grandfather's passing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts