Grizzly Riders Forum banner

2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 - Won't unengage 4x4 correctly

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  chessy56 
#1 ·
My ATV is a 2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660

My Grizzly will not unengage its 4x4 correctly. I have been messing with the thing for a while. I replaced the front servo, replaced the two relays and yet it still can only go from 2x4 -> 4x4. Not 4x4 -> 2x4, unless I switch the two relays (that are brand new) it can go back into 2x4 but now cant go into 4x4. The Servo is out of the differential so it has no resistance. So I am very confused on why it is doing this.

#2 · (Edited)
Hope you found your issue by now- but if not, have you looked at the wiring and switches on the right-handle bar? Are the relays for controlling 2/4 wheel or 4 wheel differential lock different or the same? Pinched/damaged/shorted conductors anywhere? Blown fuse? These are the things I'd be looking at as well. Persistence pays off. Bounce your questions off of your local shop as well- don't expect them to spend a lot of time on your issue as they're paid for their services. But they're usually not afraid to offer some quick advice to help a potential customer out. If you haven't yet, get yourself a service manual- there's a ton of useful information and troubleshooting assistance in those things. They're often available on line!

As an aside, don't expect a lot of response on these pages for technical help. The reasons can be many- no interest, no repair skills, no time or just limited viewership on these forums. It's been my experience that folks are more interested in showing pics of their rides or bragging about all of the cool upgrades they've made. At least that's been my observation. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.