Grizzly Riders Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 Kodiak 400. Yesterday I was using it to knock down blackberry vines it was about 90 degrees out. All of a sudden the bike started stalling and smelled like it was running rich. I put my hand on the recoil starter housing and it was so hot I couldn't hold it there. No temp light or fan. I rode the bike around at faster speeds to move air past it trying to cool it down. When I parked it at the shop the cylinder read 237 degrees. I hooked the wires together for the temp switch and the fan and oil temp light came on. I am assuming I have a bad temp sensor. I proceeded to pull the carb and clean it and that didn't change much the bike doesn't idle constantly and wants to stall. The exhaust smells very gassy at idle with the idle mixture screw all the way in and I get large black clouds of smoke when I punch the throttle hard. The exhaust is very gassy smelling. Any ideas? Is the overheating condition related to the flooding? The bike is stock with a 105 main jet in the carb, the exhaust pipe on the end of the muffler is loose, the metal around it has rusted away. But I don't see how that would affect this because it was running good prior to this. Thanks

1 - 1 of 1 Posts