Grizzly Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I just bought a 2012 grizzly 550 EPs from a friend last week. I changed the oil and I figured I would clean the air filter too. When I took the airbox apart all I saw in there was a crappy foam "filter" and the screen behind it. Is this normal? I expected to find a conical type filter inside. I've been searching for answers for two days and I see mainly "conical" or "round" filters rather than the flat foam one that I have. Is that how they come stock? There shouldn't be a filter around the hole at the bottom of the air box? I noticed there was dirt in the bottom of the air box which led me to believe there should be another filter there. It only has 900 miles and 60 hrs on it. Any help for this clueless guy is appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep, that's it, one flat filter on top of the screen. Think some guys went to a K&N filter which is round, but then it's a K&N filter!

·
DJ
1,299 Posts
hey guys, I just bought a 2012 grizzly 550 EPs from a friend last week. I changed the oil and I figured I would clean the air filter too. When I took the airbox apart all I saw in there was a crappy foam "filter" and the screen behind it. Is this normal? I expected to find a conical type filter inside. I've been searching for answers for two days and I see mainly "conical" or "round" filters rather than the flat foam one that I have. Is that how they come stock? There shouldn't be a filter around the hole at the bottom of the air box? I noticed there was dirt in the bottom of the air box which led me to believe there should be another filter there. It only has 900 miles and 60 hrs on it. Any help for this clueless guy is appreciated.
Yes this normal!
:Shh: Properly serviced and oiled foam filters are "very good" and there are several aftermarket brands avail. No-toil, TwinAir, Uni filter.
K&N filters flow a little better and they make a flat rectangular filter that replaces the original filter and screen. I use K&N as they are easier to clean and deal with.
Some say they don't filter as well but they usually don't know how to take care of them (don't force water through the filter when cleaning). I use them and have no issues with dirt passing whatsoever. Just be careful not to tear the separate foam perimeter seal on a K&N.
EHS racing has a high flow filter system for 550/700s that uses a round filter with a cotton gauze medium like a K&N filter $$$.

Not sure which hole in the bottom you are referring to. There should be no dirt on the clean side of the filter. If there is, check hose connections under the air box are secure/tight where they originate and at the air box..
Use grease around the filter perimeter to seal and make sure air box lid seal is in place.

Reactions: Grumpy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, I put a twin air filter in the other day. I think the dirt in the box was just because he never cleaned the filter. I get much better throttle response now that its all clean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts