Grizzly Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a UNI filter for my 660 and it came with a new gasket that fits on the end of the guide that the filter slides over. The stock gasket was a bit worn and seeing as how UNI was nice enough to send along a new one I tore off the old and slapped on the new one only to find out that new one is way too thick.

After trying to shoehorn everything back in with no luck I finally decided to take a razor blade and cut off the bottom part of the gasket (flat part) and trim about a mm off of the gasket. I ended up getting everything to shoehorn back in (barely) but due to the angle there is a small gap between the gasket and the wall of the air box. I need to close that gap maybe with some grease to catch the dust???

Anyone had this issue and if so what did you do to get the setup to fit correctly with the uni gasket?

·
Registered
64 Posts
My unit filter gasket was very thick as well. I believe I trimmed a little off the bottom but managed to get it installed.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My unit filter gasket was very thick as well. I believe I trimmed a little off the bottom but managed to get it installed.
Thanks for the reply bigred.... so did everything fit snug? I'm concerned about the gap as obviously the whole point in the air filter is to let air in but keep dust and other crud out. I looked at the parts diagram and I don't see just an OEM gasket but haven't had time to call the dealer yet. I'm hoping maybe I can pick up a stock gasket that will get everything fitting happily again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar problem with my OEM filter (potential small gap between foam and air box as filter slid - pushed into position). I am sure that at some point I did not have the perfect seal.

I did buy an UNI filter (agree with extra thick foam) and as a solution to ensuring an excellent fit between foam and air filter box I took a thin piece of sheet metal, cut it to fit into holding slot of air box, greased the sheet metal up, and forced the filter into position. Once the filter is in position I pull out (remove) the piece of sheet metal, thus I am confident that I have the very posetive seal between filter and air box. I now do this after every filter wash

As an aside, I am sure that at some point I did have an air bypass with the OEM filter as I ended up having to do a motor rebuild as the bottom of the cylinder was scored, and the motor would burn up to 250ml of oil in a 100 km ride. Can't believe that Yammy engineers couldn't come up with a better air filter installation system to ensure a perfect fit all the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts