Grizzly Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Kodiak 450 I bought a couple months ago and noticed when cleaning the air filter that there doesn't appear to be any filtration for the vent line that runs from the air box to the rocker cover which I suspect to be the crank case vent. I looked at some parts diagrams but I don't see a filter or anything listed but have a hard time imagining that this vent line isn't filtered. I know the Hondas I have come in the same way but have a rubber boot that presses into the air filter so they have filtration for this vent line.

I'd just like confirmation from someone who has a Kodiak 450 or maybe a Grizzly 450 as to if I'm missing something within my air box or is it just an open non filtered vent line from the air box to the top of the motor?

I imagine at high RPM the air flow would be pulling out of the motor but at idle, with air box lid off, it seems that there is a slight vacuum pulling air back into the top of the motor.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've had two 450's and they don't have any kind of filter just a direct line from the air box to the engine!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had two 450's and they don't have any kind of filter just a direct line from the air box to the engine!
OK, thanks for the confirmation on that. I'll just take it that the engineers determined that there isn't much concern for dust entry into the top of the motor through this vent line then, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something that was suppose to be in place to filter that line.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The only thing ive goten in my egine through that hose was water when i sunk my quad!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Think it acts mainly as a breather line for oil gasses to be re-burned.
I was thinking that too but when I had my air box lid off one day I put my finger over the line and at idle it had a bit of vacuum on it so I was concerned that there was no filtration for this line and thought I may be missing something since it is a used quad. Seems they come with no filtration for that line so I quit worrying about it and assume that there isn't enough vacuum to pull debris all the way up the line back into the rocker housing since the engineers designed it that way and I haven't heard of any problems caused by dirt entry of this line.

I recall my Honda Rubicon having a boot that attached to that line that pressed into the regular air filter so it was some what filtered if the boot didn't get bent out of shape. I think when the engine is revved up though it's probably mostly a positive pressure within that line so contaminants shouldn't get too far up the line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts