Grizzly Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Summer Sucks
445 Posts
I am running both, I had a little stutter on take off, fixed with the pod mod, otherwise everything is fine, plug looks good. Lots of guys run this set up, a few us needed the pod mod, a lot don't.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
F.U.B.A.R.
5,584 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am running both, I had a little stutter on take off, fixed with the pod mod, otherwise everything is fine, plug looks good. Lots of guys run this set up, a few us needed the pod mod, a lot don't.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
What altitude are you typically riding at? How much did your need to bump up the pod mod to?

Thanks, DEWFPO

·
Federally lic Gun Dealer
4,590 Posts
That's because at 5K the air is thinner than at sea level.
The K&N filter will pass more air than stock so it will lean out the
fuel / air ratio somewhat; less as you get up into the mountains, more
as you get closer to sea level.

The tip really doesn't effect the performance much at all - it is just a slightly larger
hole so the exhaust note will be deeper. The baffles inside the muffler are giving
99% of the back pressure.

CW88 - I cannot help yo uwit hthe Pod mod as I run a carbed bike, but if you copy someone's
setting suggestions - please make sure they are at the approx. altitude and cilmate conditions as
where you live & ride.

Good Luck!

·
G-Man
2,466 Posts
honestly if i would rather run no air filer than run a k&n for a quad or bike! a buddy of mine blew his bike up running a k&n cuz it wouldnt keep dirt out! i run a twin air in my 660

·
Federally lic Gun Dealer
4,590 Posts
Now Ron - Think about that statement for a minute.
Would you really rather run NO FILTER than run a K&N?

I'm quite sure that your friend didn't have the filter properly installed and
would need to run it that way for some time before blowing up his motor.

K&N is (argueably) one of the most popular & well respected filters in all phases
of racing. And while I can see why someone would want to run another brand for one
reason or another - that statemet is just silly.........................Sorry!

·
G-Man
2,466 Posts
ya idk what he did but alls i no is it blew hi bike and when he pulled it apart it had dirt in the head and i was just making a point about no filter but ya if i had to i would but the only other think i dont like about them is they are paper if they get wet u have to get another one thts y i like foam filter just dry them and roll

·
Registered
82 Posts
I live at 7,200 ft and do all my riding between 6,000 and 12,000'. I was going to install a UNI air filter and a muffler tip and wasn't sure if I needed to pod mod my fuel up any.

Thanks

DEWFPO

·
CTD Out!
7,584 Posts
I run twinairs on the 450 but I run K&N on all my daily rides. Gman chances are your buddy didn't have an outerwears filter on it and took her too deep and got all kinds of crap in the airbox and kept on riding. Your statement about foam filters getting wet makes me have to ask, are you oiling your filters? Cause it sounds like you just wash and reinstall (if you even do that)

·
Federally lic Gun Dealer
4,590 Posts
Good Point Butch!

DEWFPO - if you ride at that high alttitude than possibly you will not need to
remap the fuel controller; I can't say for sure.
Best thing to do is install and periodicly check the plug to see how she is burning.

You do know the propoer proceedure for testing the plug................ right?

·
Dr. Sexy
1,338 Posts
the only other think i dont like about them is they are paper if they get wet u have to get another one thts y i like foam filter just dry them and roll
K&N is not a paper filter. It is a gauze filter and can be washed and dried out.

Over 25 years of running K&N on my toys and daily drivers and not one single problem with filtration and allowing dirt to pass.

·
Dr. Sexy
1,338 Posts
I have the K&N and 2R tip on my 2008 700 and I have run from sea level to 12,500 feet. The only problem that I noticed was at sea level. The engine had a little lapse of throttle response when taking off. Other than that one problem, I have had no issues with that setup.

Most of my riding is at 4500 to 11000. I clean the filter every oil change or more often if I am been in a lot of dusty riding areas. I clean the spark arrestor screen on the 2R tip every other oil change.

·
G-Man
2,466 Posts
Yes butch i do i carry oil whereever i go tht i might need to clean it

·
Now I am a Daddy!!!
587 Posts
K&N is not a paper filter. It is a gauze filter and can be washed and dried out.

Over 25 years of running K&N on my toys and daily drivers and not one single problem with filtration and allowing dirt to pass.
I think k&ns work great on na engines but using them on trucks with turbo diesel engines they actually do let too much dirt through the filter and often results in dusted turbos. I was very hesitant to run one on my griz but so far no problem. I think the issue is since the turbo is drawing in 600+ cfm the filter is not adequate for those situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Child of God
39 Posts
The tip really doesn't effect the performance much at all - it is just a slightly larger
hole so the exhaust note will be deeper. The baffles inside the muffler are giving
99% of the back pressure.
I wouldn't say 99%. My opinion is 60%-70% or so.

Reason I say this is because I did A-B-A A/F testing with the tip and with the stock tip. It would lean up the A/F by about 0.3 to 0.5 and have more off idle power every single time.

Without actual backpressure numbers.. were all guessing though.

Here is a pic of the stock tip next to the aftermarket one. Look at the difuser vanes. They are fit nearly to the I.D. of the mufflers pipe. (ramps on the left side of the screen) From my observations of A/F changes and off idle power (pulling the front tires off the ground more easily) it was definately a restricting feature.

·
Registered
100 Posts
ya idk what he did but alls i no is it blew hi bike and when he pulled it apart it had dirt in the head and i was just making a point about no filter but ya if i had to i would but the only other think i dont like about them is they are paper if they get wet u have to get another one thts y i like foam filter just dry them and roll
When installing any air filter stock or aftermarket it is crucial to grease the mating surface of the filter that seals to the air box . if you dont do this you are setting yourself for an epic fail . I see too many bikes with clean mating surfaces and dirt in the engine . it even tells you to grease the mating surfaces in the install instructions of every aftermarket filter I have seen . and many even supply the grease in a small tube . did your friend do this ? I have been running K&N filter on my 07 sti for over 3 years now as well as many past vehicles and she is far from factory and never had an issue or problems with maf voltage ( restrictions ) but I am only running 24psi and well over 360hp & 400ftlb to the wheels at 690 cfm with a hybrid ball bearing turbo & 780 cc injectors But you have to clean it and stay on top of it ... to each his own but I have never had an issue .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts