Grizzly Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is a little info for those of you in the NJ, PA, NY are looking to register your ATV and avoid paying sales tax. The State of Delaware offers a one year registration for out of state persons. I bought my ATV in PA and live in NJ so if I tried registering it in either PA or NJ I would have to show proof of paying sales tax. I also want to ride at places like SSRT where I need registration so I need to have it registered.

So I took a ride to a Delaware DMV to register it up. They gave me a hard time at first saying that they could not do it, so I educated them on their own law and they finally gave me the one year out of state resident registration for $6 bucks. Here is the link CHAPTER 68. REGISTRATION AND CONTROL OF OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLES to the law, and if any non-Delaware resident wants to do this I suggest printing this out in case they give you a hard time. They still had me produce insurance, certificate of origin and my NJ DL. Just passing it on if it helps anyone.

§ 6807. Out-of-state OHV registration.
The Department shall issue a 1-year registration number decal, valid for the present calendar year, to out-of-state OHVs operated by a resident of a state or county where registration is not required. The fee for this decal shall be $6.
61 Del. Laws, c. 142, § 6.;

·
Federally lic Gun Dealer
4,590 Posts
I registered mine in NJ - I just told them I paid $1000.00 for it and paid the one time tax.
I think the yearly registration is something like 12 bucks - no?

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
i think it was 17 4 me not 100% sure

·
Caught me ridin' dirty.
1,236 Posts
This is good stuff! I bought mine in Ohio, and live in PA. I have not registered yet, as I was avoiding the $500+ in taxes for now.

The ATV doesn't have to be present, right? I think I will plan to run the motorcycle out to Delaware for registration, maybe stay the night at a campground and head back the next day. At 42 MPG, the cost of maybe $70 for gas is way less than what my PA taxes would be.

Thanks a ton!!

·
Buzz
660 Posts
Thanks for the info we are getting taxed to death. Soon we will be paying tax on our tax.:tongueout: In PA I pay $20 for a two year registration tag that goes on a license plate that is issued when you register.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is good stuff! I bought mine in Ohio, and live in PA. I have not registered yet, as I was avoiding the $500+ in taxes for now.

The ATV doesn't have to be present, right? I think I will plan to run the motorcycle out to Delaware for registration, maybe stay the night at a campground and head back the next day. At 42 MPG, the cost of maybe $70 for gas is way less than what my PA taxes would be.

Thanks a ton!!
No your ATV does not have to be present. All they wanted to see was my certificate of origin, insurance and drivers license.

·
Caught me ridin' dirty.
1,236 Posts
Perfect...Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.