Grizzly Riders Forum banner

Best "Free" software for film editing.

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Butch450 
#1 ·
OK, so all I have ever used is Windows movie maker that came with the computer. Does anyone know of or recommend a "free" software program that I can dabble with to make movies? I want to wait till winter before I dump money on a new camera, editing software and computer. Then I will ask for pointers on new HD movie editing gear and software.

#8 ·
Let me make myself clear. I was not trying to get any software that you have to pay for for free. I just wanted to know if there was something besides the Windows Movie Maker software to edit my clips together and do a little more than what WMM does. Only legit free software.

Thanks for the comebacks so far. Someday, I will join the big league like Twister, Butch, TheGrizz and mrycar and spend the big bucks for cameras and software and for that matter, computers.

Gus

#9 ·
No, Vegas still has issues of blacking out clips randomly. You re-render and it may or may not work. Same issues on four very different computers and several different versions of Vegas. I don't think it likes the Contour HD 720/60 raw MOV files or something although others (many) have reported the same issues with other source media.

I am getting ready to start using Premiere to see if I like it. It won't be free by any means. :(

The last video I did (Day 1 TOW) rendered fine several times until I used Vegas to change the pitch and correct the speed of the audio (to bypass Youtube copyright crap). It crashed the computer two times and then rendered fine the third time with no changes. Now all of this is still on XP64 which is buggy. Windows 7 will be installed very soon and may fix some of the stability issues with Vegas.

-Twister

#11 ·
Gus pretty much every software maker will offer a 30 day free trial on their product. Without spending the big bucks you could try the trial of Corel proX3 for 30 days and chances are you will be able to buy it for $50 after the trial ends. It also comes with dvd movie factory 7 for free now so you at least get some decent software for a cheap price. It will work for everything you have today and for your upgraded cameras and pc when you upgrade. They are constantly patching their product and adding themes and fx all the time for free also (something sony has still yet to do) so at least they care about their product. (hint Sony are you listening) I wont spend the big bucks for vegas pro or adobe premiere when it costs more then a contour hd 1080p camera new. Here is some links for the trial versions.

Video Editing Software – Corel VideoStudio Pro X3

Sony Creative Software - Vegas Pro, Vegas Movie Studio, and Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Edition

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.