Grizzly Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
I cleaned my carby on my 04 660, the bike idles like a dream and when I go for a ride I can hold it flat for about 10 seconds and it dies in the ass, will still idle fine but when you rev it, it dies, so I pulled the airbox out and the pin coming from the diaphragm had come out of the port and was stuck open, anyone have any ideas why this is happening, cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
There are a lot of parts to the needle and diaphragm. I would pull the diaphragm and needle out of the carb and ensure that everything is in the right order and properly seated into position. Make sure all parts are in place and try again. I'm just putting out some ideas to consider. Not sure if it matters but. ensure the slide is in the right way. Possibly check to ensure that the needle guide in the carb isn't pushed down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It should all be the same as before, I pulled the needle and diaphragm out and only checked it for cracks

·
Registered
33 Posts
It should all be the same as before, I pulled the needle and diaphragm out and only checked it for cracks
I have a 03 660 carb in the shop. I will look at it in the morning and let you know if I have any more ideas on what could be happening. Please post if you figure it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About to pull mine back out, I'm just wondering if the person who owned the quad before me had messed with the needle position, and they might have out the needle to high. That's the last thing I can think of

·
Registered
33 Posts
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Alloy wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle brake
Hand Wood Gesture Finger Gadget
Hand Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Finger

About to pull mine back out, I'm just wondering if the person who owned the quad before me had messed with the needle position, and they might have out the needle to high. That's the last thing I can think of
My carb will also stick when I physically push the slide up. It looks like there is vacuum on both sides of the diaphragm during operation. The holes in the bottom of the slide create the lift through a venturi affect during wot while the vacuum ports under the diaphragm pull down on it with help from the spring. Is it possible one of the hoses connected to the carb is split or open in some way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah by the looks of that my pin is shorter and a little different, I did end up fixing the problem by machine a spacer to go inside the spring on top of the diaphragm that doesn't allow the pin to come out of the hole, went for a test ride and works perfectly, cheers for all your help man, and I'll send some photos through of mine tomorrow

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah by the looks of that my pin is shorter and a little different, I did end up fixing the problem by machine a spacer to go inside the spring on top of the diaphragm that doesn't allow the pin to come out of the hole, went for a test ride and works perfectly, cheers for all your help man, and I'll send some photos through of mine tomorrow
Sounds good. Glad to know your back in action. Looking forward to your pics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Solve that problem and now the fuel is pouring through the main jet, I've cleaned the float jet, put a little full filter between the carby and fulltank and looks like it's coming from the main yet, maybe the needle in the diaphragm is the wrong one

·
Registered
33 Posts
Solve that problem and now the fuel is pouring through the main jet, I've cleaned the float jet, put a little full filter between the carby and fulltank and looks like it's coming from the main yet, maybe the needle in the diaphragm is the wrong one
Does it pour out of the carb while it is idling? Does it run out when it isn't running? Could be a worn float needle and seat. You can shut the fuel off at the petcock and note if the fuel stops pouring out a couple of minutes before the carb runs out of fuel. If so, that would be a good indication that you need a new float needle and seat. Or the float could be sinking. Which would mean it has fuel in it causing it to not float high enough to close the needle and seat which would allow fuel to keep flowing into the float bowl. That can be checked by shaking the float. If there is fuel in it it needs to be replaced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts