Grizzly Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mud Dawg
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow grizzly riders. My name is Brad and I recently bought a 2011 Grizzly 700. I currently have 27" mudlites on 12" ITP rims and have noticed some slight lugging, especially on takeoff. I am fixing to put on 30" Silverbacks. I am going to go ahead and do a 2mm shim mod, but just dont know how much of a difference it will make. Will it be enough, or do I need secondary spring and lighter weights to get the low end power to turn those backs? If a secondary spring, which one? If weights, all or half? I appreciate any advise or insight. By the way, also wanting to put a Rubberdown customs 2" lift and wheel spacers to give it that "mean look". lol. Any drawbacks? Thank yall.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Reactions: GrizzlyMan700

·
http://coop45.webs.com/
26 Posts
My mod#3 would be the best for the lowest ratio, for those tall tires!
You can add up to 1mm of extra shim with it, just make sure the belt doesn't rub the CVT cover.
Coop45

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Backs are heavy a said go with white spring I had coops mod it was great for the low end up to about 10 mph then seamed like it fell on it's face Airdam mod bike with heavier tires even would pull on it every time. I would recommend Airdam 1,2 mods I seen first hand it would out perform others

sent from the almighty thunderbolt 4g lte

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
My advice....don't lift it and put 30's on it unless all you're doing is mudding,you will hate it for everything else. I did the lift and big tires on a quad I used to have and it was beast in the mud but everywhere else it was a hinderance,IE hillclimbs,off-camber stuff,high speed corners,on and on and on,etc...

If you are gonna do the 30's it might be a good time to convert to a greaseless clutch setup,it will be much more forgiving if you get in a little deeper than you anticipated,just drain the water out and keep going instead of the grizzly grease getting all mucked up with muddy water and keeping the roller weights from moving. You can do greasless rollers and a secondary spring pretty cheap. Search out greasless to get all the info you could ever want about it.

Grizzly Riders - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum - Search Results

·
26 Posts
Backs are heavy a said go with white spring I had coops mod it was great for the low end up to about 10 mph then seamed like it fell on it's face Airdam mod bike with heavier tires even would pull on it every time. I would recommend Airdam 1,2 mods I seen first hand it would out perform others

sent from the almighty thunderbolt 4g lte
The up shift stall you are refuring to has nothing to do with the sheave mod, the problem you had, would have been the rollers or the secondary spring, my mod lowers the take off ratio by aprox. 23-25%, and does nothing to the up or down shift.
Thanks
Coop45

·
You can do it!!
305 Posts
I bought the sheave outinnavy had machined by coop and don't notice any falling on its face. My tires are 33lbs front and 42lbs rear so they are really heavy to say the least. With the sheave the thing pulls like a freight train all the way to rev limiter in low. I was running a 2mm shim before and the top speed was 33 in low and wiith the sheave and no shims it was 39 and now with the Dyna FS it is 49. In high it pulls real strong till 45-50 it's not the sheaves fault but more the motors fault since it is running out of steam at that point.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
maybe i had the wrong weights then i really liked the sheave in low gear but the way i ride i use high gear more guess i should have tried different weights but i just dont have the money for that

·
Mud Dawg
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advise guys. By the way, is there any way to change that secondary spring without a spring compresser?

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
no but one can be made very easy with all tread and a few nuts and washer and a piece of 2" pvc pipe theres a thread on it here somewhere

·
You can do it!!
305 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
if your spending the money on good tires, then I would spend the money to have the primary machined. I have airdam machined clutch and will be sending my wifes clutch to him soon.

If your wanting the cheaper way out then go with a 1.5 mm shim, white EPI Spring and 4 kodiak 450 weights. You might have to play with the weights to get the shift out you want. Everyone likes different shift points so its hard to say what you would like.

The 2inch lift does make the bike look better. Just remember with those tires, you need to use thumb control. Most of us like to sling the mud, but the best riders know when to say "im done." Dont let your friends bust on you too much for having them pull you out of a hole. Much rather catch hell from my friends then spend several hundred dollars replacing parts and having to sit the rest of the riding weekend back at camp with a broke bike.

·
26 Posts
Machining is the best option. (Mod#3 only, uless you want to go faster in Low range, then Mod#2 with it.
Let me know if you are interested
Thanks
Coop45

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
if you got the cash get the primary machined. /// or coop take your pick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts