• Yes

Votes: 24 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 40 of 142 Posts

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Great video Butch! Jack, good job on the narration! Got a good laugh outta the spring.

·
CTD Out!
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Thanks Guys! Gus I will try my best. Need a little more practice with the camera, and a wide angle lens, and some better remote mics, and some lights....lol

·
Registered
242 Posts
Directed by Butch

Thanks Guys! Gus I will try my best. Need a little more practice with the camera, and a wide angle lens, and some better remote mics, and some lights....lol
And a chair with your name on the back and a megaphone to direct with.... lol. No the videos came out great couldn't ask for better Butch.

Reactions: Butch450

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Guys great Video ... I might have missed it but did you put grease in the hole where the two seals are on the sheave ...???? you need about two pumps from a grease gun in there and smooth it around with your finger and into the seal lips .... also you installed the cam plate sliders upside down .... and like somebody else said never start your motor without the cage on ... I bent a shaft befor doing that ... thanks for everything guys ...

·
Federally lic Gun Dealer
4,590 Posts
Yes - I did wipe grease on the sela lips and also in the pilot bearing hole, it was just
editied out but the grease was applied.
As for the sliders - I installed them same as I did mine and have had no issues so far.
Correct me if Im wrong, but the slider only contacts the sheave in the groove and that
point is the same no matter which way the slider is installed - no?

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
Very good points John and Jack. And yes, the sliders are in backwards. I'm sure that the engineered intention by Yamaha was to have more surface area on the preceding area of the slider for the abrupt closing of the cam plate. This should not inhibit the performance of the clutch itself though, in my opinion. I say this because the last install I did a while back I fumble-fudged the plate and couldn't remember which way it went back in. Since we were doing dyno-runs, I was in a hurry anyway do I said WTH, and tossed it in both ways. It made no noticeable changes. But it is the way Yamaha intended it to be installed.

I also think that it is important to install the cage prior to starting the engine. However, I see Jack's point by leaving it off to illustrate the sheave running in and out and how it operates.

·
Registered
9 Posts
HI Jack , and again sorry for posting anything when you guys took all you personal time to help everbody out with installation... its a great video ... and my computer would olny let me get to about 6 minutes in one of them .. and our lack of instructions with sheaves or parts we sell is always a problem for us thats why I got so excited when I saw the video ... I think you be fine with the sliders that way with a greaseless set up but with a regular sheave they might hit the sheave cover at top speed ... ill check it out when I go back out to the shop in a bit ...

and again Thanks for the Video and The Biz you send us

·
"Diz"
1,731 Posts
As Jack had said in the commentary, on the 660 or 700 you have separate bolts for the bearing retainer / spider but the 450's is held on with th cover bolts so, not much choice for the vid.
As for the sliders...hell nobody's perfect. Still, thanks for pointing that out, I didn't even notice.

·
CTD Out!
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Hey John I noticed what you said about the cage and we already responded that it should be installed prior to starting. In your videos you do the same exact thing though. It was for demonstration purposes just as I am sure it was meant to be in your install video. Unfortunately with the cage on it doesn't allow a good view of the rollers being flung out. Thanks for your response about the sliders and will wait to read your reply after testing.

·
CTD Out!
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks John. I am extremely pleased with this setup, keep up the good work. I think alot of riders will benefit from your products.

·
Federally lic Gun Dealer
4,590 Posts
For the members who read this - I would like to make a few things clear because in the video
you see things and each and every detail isn't clearly pointed out because of the amount of time
that video would need to be (we didn't want to have 40 minutes of video - nobody would watch it)
so let me explain a few points to help with future installs.

Always have a service manual with you and follow the guidelines in that manual for sheave maint / replacement.

Always follow factory recomended torque proceedures - we showed torque of the primary, but the Secondary was torqued as well and if your not used to removing and installing the cover - that needs to be torqued as well.

Inside the sheave is a set of wiper seals, these need to be lightly coated with grease to help seat them and the roller sleave on the main shaft needs grease as well. I made sure this was done, but it wasn't clearly shown in the video. Perhaps I should have mentioned it, but I was caught up in the video production along with the actuall install and I just plain forgot to point it out - sorry!

As for the sliders - I PM'd John and we discussed my point as follows:

The factory sliders have a larger side and a smaller side (but both are approx the same thickness).
I believe the factory uses the larger side inward to help keep the grease from pumping past the slider
and getting out of the sheave. The company that mfg. the greasless sliders copies the slider exactly to factory spec, except uses different material (self lubricating nylon).
When going to a greasless set-up like UTV's - it doesn't matter which way the sliders go on as long as they are all on the same way (for asthetic purpose I guess) because they only serve as a bushing in between the outside of the cam plate and the inside of the sheave (you can see the groove in the video) - So they are installed properly in Butch's application BUT I neglected to say that if your using this video to do another mod (like just replacing weights, shim mod, replacing stock sliders, ect.) you need to install the sliders in the same position as the stock ones were removed (larger side inward) t oprevent possible hitting of the cam plate cover (which we did not reuse).

Please forgive me for my inexpierence with instructional video - I'm new at this and as in anything we endevour - hopefully we will get better with expierence. My only goal was to help out my friend and get his set-up installed and working properly; the video production was a huge distraction for me and I appologize if I neglected to point out something.
If any member has a question on this type of install - Please PM me and I will give you my cell phone number and we can discuss the fine points either before or during your install. That is the best service I can offer!

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Great job guys!

Jack I got my setup in from UTV, I think I am going to take you up on the offer for the install help!

·
Enjoy the Ride
2,512 Posts
Jack, I feel you have covered the install perfectly. As you said, have to keep every ones attention, so some things end up on the cutting room floor. Don't let any of these things stop you from doing more Grizzlyriders Educational videos.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Fantastic job guys. The videos are perfect IMO and make it easy for anyone to do clutch work.Thanks:clap:

Reactions: TheGrizz

·
"Diz"
1,731 Posts
Jack (and everyone), that's what is great about having these videos in a forum like this. No video or tutorial will cover 100% of the possible questions or scenarios but when was the last time you got to point out something that was missing or unclear in a magazine article or ask the writer to clarify some point. These posts from the other members and follow-up posts from the video producer(s) compliment the video and makes for a far more complete and accurate picture of the procedure at hand. You and Butch did a great job! Keep it up.:s_good:

21 - 40 of 142 Posts