Grizzly Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of curiosity, I cut apart and inspected the OEM Denso oil filter off my Grizzly 700 after its first oil change.

Pics:

I was not impressed!

So I set about to find a better replacement, and will have a full article coming out soon.

In the meantime, I noticed the OEM filter had no bypass valve (relief valve) so went to the part fiche to find out there is a relief valve built into the engine itself

pic:

Question" Does anybody know what the setting (PSI) of the relief valve is?

Thanks

PS - Merry Christmas all!

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
WOW! About as cheap as it could possibly be! I for one will welcome your article! :chillin:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Reactions: herrinc

·
Registered
12 Posts
How many miles did you have on it when you changed it? I'm assuming you were around the 20 hours mark as well?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it's going to take me a while to write everything up, but if you just want to skip straight to the results (which are, it must be said, no more than my semi-educated, non-scientific, very subjective opinions based only on visual inspection and research) - Here is what I would use (price not a factor, but listed for interest. Interesting to me that two of the top three are two of the cheaper ones, but their quality is very good):

Note: WNU = Will Not Use.

The reasons for the ties will be explained in the article.

Rank Filter Part Number Price
1 Purolator Synthetic PSL14610 $9.99
2 Purolator PureOne PL14610 $6.99
2 Fram Ultra XG7317 $13.49
3 K&N HP-1010 $14.99
3 Mobil 1 M1-110 $15.49
4 AC Delco Duraguard PF2057 $7.49
5 Wix 51358 $12.26
5 NAPA 1358 $12.29
WNU Motomaster MPH6607 $5.97
WNU Fram Extra PH7317 $6.69
WNU Fram ExtraGuard Motorcycle PH6017A $9.99

·
jdubcee
99 Posts
Now consider this for the sport bike riders. I think this is the same filter used on the Yamaha R1 sportbike that I had from 2007. I had some filters for my sport bike left over and compared them to the grizzly filter looked the same to me but I cant remember if the part number is the same. But hey if it can handle the 130 or so horse power of my sportbike it should be able to handle the Old grizzly right? Right? Right? Hmmm?

·
Registered
64 Posts
So where does the oem filter fall in that list?

·
F.U.B.A.R.
5,584 Posts
We have done a thread similar to this with similar results in filter findings from other outside sources. Myself being a mechanic I can tell you that I have replaced (not repaired) more engines due to them either using From filter and or Pennzoil motor oil than ANYTHING else, because of this I will NEVER use either brand no matter what is says on the side of the container!!!! Just my 02.....
http://grizzlyriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6

This message is sponsored by the campaign for a 2up Grizzly!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts