Grizzly Riders Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Grizzly 700. I couple weeks ago I noticed my bike struggling to start. The battery was reading below 12v, so got a new battery. It worked fine. Then I accidently left the key one while installing a new winch so it drained the battery below 12v to somewhere in the 11.5 - 11.7v range, so it wouldn't start. Charged the battery and worked fine for a few days. Then sounded like it was struggling again. Tested battery, 12.6v. Then it straight up wouldn't start, just starter relay clicking. Tested other side of relay, only getting 7v when I hit the start button. If I held the start button down it would pop up the Code 12 error, but would go away. Ordered a new relay, same thing, so I tried jumping it between the posts on the relay, just a bunch of sparks, and now the Code 12 is on full time when I turn the key on.

I've read on the forums about grounding issues, bad start switches, bad starter, the crank shaft positioning sensor, different solenoids, only the dealer can erase the code, etc.

I just don't know where to start, I've never messed with anything I just listed besides changing starters on other bikes. I don't want to start ordering a bunch of parts I don't need, or mess some wires up, and definitely don't want to pay the dealer.

Any help help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, so I read you could test the starter by hooking jumper cables directly to a good battery, touch black to the start case (I'm assuming that means starter housing), and positive to the the starter lug and it should bypass whatever kind of electrical issue might be going on and if starter is good, it will fire up... Mine did nothing but spark. Does this mean my starter is bad? If so would this cause the Code 12 error, and the 7v coming off other side of relay?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts