Grizzly Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,
I was wondering if the factory air filter is decent or if I should look into a different one? I was shopping around online and shipping is expensive to AK. A lot of trails here are pretty dusty and I want the best protection for my grizzly. I thought I saw unifilter at the Yamaha shop but didn't see if it was for my 550. If I do get a uni, do I have to worry about running lean? I just ordered a 2r tip as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
544 Posts
the factory is good...now if you do a BBK then you might want to go with a k&n or do the hanger mod.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I agree that the stock air filter is of good construction and quality. Just keep it clean, and oiled, and it should serve you well for many years.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I stuck wit the factory filter until the mouse got into it last winter!
now I have a K$N on the way. Stick with the factory ( properly cleaned and oiled) until u gotta change or r looking for a lil more performance!!Properly cleaned and oiled is key!!gr rules
If u only change the intake the computer should be able to adjust to it.
If you change the exhaust TOO then you need a fuel thingy ( not proper tech term lol) You can change 1 or the other with no fuel adjustments, but if u change both then u gotta get a fuel thingy
fuel commander 3 or 5 is recommended I think

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
788 Posts
I have factory and K&N

the factory filter is better in dust but more restrictive. I change filter types depending on the conditions. I did cut some pieces from the metal tray under the filter foam. I don't oil my factory filter.

hey everyone,
I was wondering if the factory air filter is decent or if I should look into a different one? I was shopping around online and shipping is expensive to AK. A lot of trails here are pretty dusty and I want the best protection for my grizzly. I thought I saw unifilter at the Yamaha shop but didn't see if it was for my 550. If I do get a uni, do I have to worry about running lean? I just ordered a 2r tip as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much filter oil is too much? I cleaned and reoiled it but I'm afraid it might have too much oil. I oiled it using the ziploc trick. Will excess oil harm the engine?

·
Registered
264 Posts
No, excess oil will not hurt the engine, but it will make a mess as it drips into the bottom of the air box. You should remove your drain tube after a little while, and clean it out.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You should allow the filter to dry before putting it back in. If your using a spray oil you shouldnt be putting it in a baggie.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used the Yamaha foam oil in a bottle. Ill take it out and let it sit at room temp til the afternoon.

·
DJ
1,299 Posts
Using disposable gloves or a baggie pour some oil on the filter and work it into the foam real good and then squeeze out the excess oil "very well". Re-install filter. You just want the oil all through the foam with no excess oil to drip out.

·
"Rock Spider"
358 Posts
the factory filter is better in dust but more restrictive. I change filter types depending on the conditions. I did cut some pieces from the metal tray under the filter foam. I don't oil my factory filter.
If you don't use the tacky foam filter oil, you allow a LOT of fine dust to get into your motor, bad news for your cylinder and internal parts. Foam filters do not stop dirt, they use the oil and the twisty passages the air takes to trap and hold dirt, without oil, there is little to hold the fine dirt and it goes right into your intake.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Its alot easier and prob cheaper to use k&n air filter spray oil. It doesnt make a mess and no need for all the baggie stuff. Just spray on and let dry.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have some of that too. I think after riding this weekend I'll clean the filter again and use that.

·
"Rock Spider"
358 Posts
K&N filter oil is designed for cotton gauze filter material, it isn't so much tacky as just giving an oily coating for dirt to stick to, while the multi layer cotton gauze does the filtering. Foam filters have actual "passages" through the foam that allows air flow, but the twists and turns in the foam cells are what stops the dirt, thats why foam filter oil is so "tacky" and messy, it needs to be to make sure the dirt particles that hit it are caught until washed out. If you are not going to use foam filter oil, might as well just soak them wiith motor oil and save the money, the K&N oil just isnt the same as the foam oil, especially if your do a lot of riding in sand or fine dust, do you really want to take the chance just to save you from washing your hands or having to clean up a little filter oil mess? Putting the filter in a plastic bag and squeezing the oil into it, and using some disposable rubber gloves is pretty easy, and not all that messy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah. Ill just use the Yamaha foam oil. The Ziploc helps cut down on the mess lol.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have been riding off road motorcycles for 45 years, and I never liked the idea of paper or gauze air filters for off road use. Paper will stop all air flow if it gets wet, and when I can see clear daylight through the gauze filters, well, I just do not feel comfortable running one.
I know that buggy and truck off road racing teams use them, but they also have a much more aggressive maintenance schedule (including engine rebuilds!) than I would want.
In New England, you will most likely not find any Enduro or hare scramble racers running paper or gauze air filters. Most run Uni, Twin-Air, Moose, or No-Toil foam filters. I prefer Twin-Air because they just seem to hold up better over the long term, but I have been hearing very good things about the No-Toil system. Most OEM foam elements are of very good quality, and most people swap them out only when they have worn out or torn. The stock grizzly elements are good, but having a spare allows you to do a quick swap, and have one ready to install at all times. The stock air boxes do a pretty good job of keeping most of the dust out, but if you haven't checked you air filter in a long time, you may be surprised at how dirty it is!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was thinking of getting a unifilter or twin air as a spare. Do I have to worry about my quad running lean since I have the 2R tip?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I like doing it the easy way. Just spray the filter, let it dry then install.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I was thinking of getting a unifilter or twin air as a spare. Do I have to worry about my quad running lean since I have the 2R tip?
IMO - Do you have to worry? No. Will it run lean? Maybe. You won't know until you try the combination out.

Reactions: AKgrizz550

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ill order it and try it out!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts