Grizzly Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Something that has always bothered me with this quad; It is very unstable while turning. My previous quad, a Polaris, spoiled me I guess...it had a beautiful ride.

When I purchased the Grizz, it was a toss up between it & the Polaris 700 twin, but they were rumored to have engine troubles/vibration at the time, so I passed it up in favor of the Yamaha.

I remember reading in the magazines when the Grizz was first introduced that this was a concern. What shocks/chassis mods do you guys do to take that unstable feeling away?

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
The first thing to replace are the OEM Dunflop tires. You can also adjust you shock spring tensions. I put WORKS springs on my shocks. Some put wheel spacers on or replace wheels that have more of a offset. I have 26" Big Horn 2.0s on the oem rims. With my set up, I am happy with it. If you have a bottomless pocket, you can also replace your shocks with high performance shocks.

One thing you did right was choice the Grizzly over the PoPo.

·
CTD Out!
7,584 Posts
For most guys I think they will say wheel spacers or wider offset aftermarket wheels. Even my 450 was unstable causing me to have a nasty offcamber rollover. But ever since I widened it with tires and wheels she is stable as hell and you can also change out the shocks settings to make them a little stiffer and it may help a little also.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay...wheel spacers; In a quick search I see they come in 1, 1.5, 1.75, & 2.0. I use this quad mainly for woods riding. What would be a good size to go with?

It seems like such a small size change, like 1" or 2" wouldn't make that much difference in stability.

·
CTD Out!
7,584 Posts
It makes a big difference. I went from stock tires that wer 8" front and 10" rears to 9" front and 11" rear and mounted them on AMS 5+2 offset wheels that really are more like 4+3 offset and I added about 4 inches width total in the rear and about 3 3/4 in the front. I see most guys are running 1 1/2 with larger tires then the stockers mounted on stock wheels. Think of it like a lifted truck, whenever you raise the center of gravity you need to widen the track to regain stability.

·
DJ
1,299 Posts
1st get good tires! 2nd adjust front shocks one or two notches stiffer than the rear for better cornering stability. 3rd install 1" or 1 1/2" wheel spacers all around. The difference in stabiltiy will amaze you! PS the best deal on wheel spacers are found on Ebay made by XXBILLET1XX. $82.00 for a set of four 1" spacers. NOTE! If you get them be sure to put lock tite on the wheel studs in the spacers before you intall them.

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
Yep, wheel spacers with the stock rims. go 1" on front and 1.5" on the rear and you will get great stability and still maintain good control and clearance when in the tight stuff and between trees. You surely could go wider on back but you are only looking at an inch more total.

Tires will make a huge difference. Shocks, depending on terrain, I like them soft when off camber stuff is prevalent and medium for fast stuff. Never had mine as stiff as it would go.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, looks like spacers for me - right now anyway. I cannot afford to do tires & wheels at this time, although that is another thing I have always wanted to do - replace those shiny aluminum wheels!

I see that the ebay seller is highly recommended by other forums as well, so he looks like a good choice. Is there any concern about stress on the related components, has anyone had any problems?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I too have wheel spacers from XXbilletXX, top notch construction. I have the 1.5" all around, with no problems at all. You will really like how the quad handles after you add the spacers. Before i did, the grizz was very unstable. Added them, and now i dont feel tippy at all. Great mod, and for $82 for all 4, you cant get a better deal then that anywhere. Heres a pic of how wide the grizz is now looking straight ahead, compared to stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.