Grizzly Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new member to the site and I have searched everywhere trying to fix this issue with no luck. This is a 2005 Grizzly 660 with a little over 600 miles and sorry for the long post.

History: I was plowing my driveway this winter and the Grizz was running great so I decided I would plow the road (private road so we have to maintain) I was on my last pass probably moving a little fast trying to get the snow over the bank. I stop to wait for cars to pass, and when I hit the throttle it died. I tried restarting and it wouldn't start. I replaced the plug and still nothing. I walk back, got my trailer and when I got back it started. When I put it in gear or give throttle it dies. Finally I got it started, in gear and on the trailer, but I had to roll it off the trailer.

Here is what I've tried so far:
New Battery (before the incident)
Adjusted the valves - Used a compression gage to find TDC and used a straw to check the piston position
Cleaned the Carb 4 times then replaced with new carb
Checked the Pickup coil resistance (good)
Checked the Ignition coil resistance (good)
Checked spark plug to ground strong blue spark
took the plug boot off cut the wire and reattached
checked the carb boots for cracks and position
replaced the air filter
Swapped the CDI with a friends to verify good
The compression seams low at 140-150 cold
Cleaned the reverse RPM limiter and checked connections
added another Ground to Frame 10AWG
The spark plug has carbon soot residue.

Could this be a weak stator or sheared Wood-riff Key. It may be time to start tearing into the engine. I can get it to idle sometimes but if I give it throttle it dies and once in a while I hear a slight backfire. If I get lucky and feather the throttle up I can get it to rev.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a huge issue with threads were some one asks for help and when they find a solution they don't post the fix, so here it is I found the issue.

It was the ignition coil. The Grizzly acted exactly like there was a clogged carb, fuel or air leak issue. I could get it to idle perfect but if I hit the throttle it would die, bog, and some times if I slowly gave it gas it would rev to about 1/2 throttle then backfire and die if I didn't back off the throttle.

I put a new ignition coil in and it runs perfect through the full throttle range.

I hope this helps someone in the future.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you use an OEM ignitor coil? I'm looking at RMstator. It's more money but the Caltric ones seem to get a lot of hit and miss reviews.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used the RMstator coil for the same reason, and it has work great since.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow im having a problem very close to yours. I never thought of the coil! I guess ill try it next since I've done many of the things you did and it didn't help.
Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts