Grizzly Riders Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
$600 for BOTH!?!? Jump on it! MSRP on the Ruger alone is around $800 w/o scope new... around here they are selling for $650+ depending on model :D

7mm Rem is not the most affordable nor abundant round, so you probably wont be doing a whole lot of "plinking" or target shooting either for that matter... but you can plink all day long with the .22 on the cheap! I am unfamiliar with the Marlin and it is a "new" model, but looking at the specs it is a tube fed bolt gun and one major + about its design is the tube capacity: "Tubular magazine holds 25 Short, 19 Long or 17 Long Rifle cartridges."

Get them both and then order a Tikka T3 in .308 or .223 next... or maybe an AR... or a CZ... or maybe a Howa or a Savage... or.... maybe you should not listen to my advice at all (bad influence?) :laugh1:

Reactions: The ModFather

·
Federally lic Gun Dealer
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
$600.00 +/- for BOTH!

Maybe.......................

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
D57H, it's ok to remove that sticker from the shotty :p... nice collection by the way!

Where are you planning to hunt with it :smiley_confused1:
After all the recent flooding and mayhem on the East Coast, ZOMBIES would be my first guess :tongueout:

... nonetheless it made me realize the importance of using popular calibers on rifles you may need to depend on....

If I buy a hunting rifle I insure that Wal-Mart carries ammo in the event I need some in a pinch.
Excellent advise! While you still can I also suggest you stock up on any caliber ammo of your choice on-line where there is still some decent deals to be had :pDT_Armataz_01_37: Not sure if you have any local "super-sporting goods store" near by such as Cabelas, Sportsmans Wharehouse, ect., but they often have good deals on common ammo calibers as well!

:s_cool:

Dont forget to post up some pix of whatever you aquire!

·
Grizzly Rollover Club
603 Posts
Lost them all in a boating accident.

·
Always wrenching on toys
283 Posts
Flat shooting hunting rifles? Can't believe nobody has listed Mr Weatherby's favorite cartridges; .257 wby mag or the .270 wby mag. Have the Accumark 270 with a break....shoots about a flat as my 257 but carries a little more energy. Shot deer out to 250 and they don't run far.

As far a target guns...real hard to beat remington 700 varmint barreled gun. Lots of aftermarket parts to make them even better. Many can shoot 1" group at 100 yards with a good scope out of the box. Getting a good trigger job is the most important mod if you want a good target gun (one holer).

Problem I have is all my most accurate guns are not used for hunting because they have 1lb triggers which is way to light for hunting and weight a ton.

My opinion is to have separate rifles for target and hunting unless you're ok with 2-3" groups at 100 yards for target shooting.

If I had to pick one, I'd probably pick my remington 700 6mm. Shoots dam flat, accurate and enough for a dear. I load them myself, unlike my weatherby's which are not cheap. Second would be the 270wby mag.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
I use a .270 for deer hunting. I love the gun. Very accurate, shoots flat, and takes a deer down quickly. I have heard a lot people using .270 for up to elk with no problems. A lot of people get guns that are to big for the job really. I am going to be using my brother's 30/6 or my bow for bear hunting, and having .44 mag handgun on me to. My brother has rounds made for his 30/6 and he can shoot 300 plus yards no problem with it. The guy that does his loads swears by using .30 caliber guns for the most versitility for hunting.

·
Federally lic Gun Dealer
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Flat shooting hunting rifles? Can't believe nobody has listed Mr Weatherby's favorite cartridges; .257 wby mag or the .270 wby mag. Have the Accumark 270 with a break....shoots about a flat as my 257 but carries a little more energy. Shot deer out to 250 and they don't run far.

As far a target guns...real hard to beat remington 700 varmint barreled gun. Lots of aftermarket parts to make them even better. Many can shoot 1" group at 100 yards with a good scope out of the box. Getting a good trigger job is the most important mod if you want a good target gun (one holer).

Problem I have is all my most accurate guns are not used for hunting because they have 1lb triggers which is way to light for hunting and weight a ton.

My opinion is to have separate rifles for target and hunting unless you're ok with 2-3" groups at 100 yards for target shooting.

If I had to pick one, I'd probably pick my remington 700 6mm. Shoots dam flat, accurate and enough for a dear. I load them myself, unlike my weatherby's which are not cheap. Second would be the 270wby mag.
Sorry - The reason I didn't include the Weatherby .257 or .270 is the gun I'm looking at doesn't offer those calibers.

·
Gas Man
491 Posts
I generally hunt deer with Rem 700 30-06, but would happily use a .308 instead.

For general pissing around target work out to 1000 yards, I use a .308, also based on Rem 700.

It's not finished yet, but I'm putting together a dedicated long range rig in .338 Lapua. I'm anxious for that one to be done....

Of course, I load all of my own stuff, so cost really isn't an issue.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Reguarding Caliber Selection:

If I could only own 3 rifle's/caliber's, I would choose .22LR, .223/5.56x45, & .308/7.62x51... my reasoning behind selecting those 3 specific calibers is that the 2 centerfire cartridges are also NATO/MILITARY rounds which are common and can be found world wide. The rimfire cartridge is a given since it is also found worldwide, its cheap, lightweight, and small enough where a person could easily carry a couple hundred rounds in a coat pocket, and is perfect for taking small game in a survival scenario :pDT_Armataz_01_37:

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
Sas is right about the 7MM being a little higher to shoot. For whatever reason it seems to be a popular round in WV. Wal Mart had them tonight for 19.98 a box for core lokt Rems. If you decide to hand-load ever you can do that pretty cheap as well. I have some very good recipes for the 7.

The .308 is great. much like my 30.06 the recoil is high in the rifles I am shooting.

Sas mentioned the Tikka which is an awesome rifle with an action that is smooth as glass. The Ruger has a Mauser style. It's durable, accurate but is sloppy until locked in.

·
Always wrenching on toys
283 Posts
jack im selling a Weatherby Vangaurd SUB-MOA with a luepold VX7L scope...

300WSM
Nice scope, nice rifle (Howa makes the Vangard line for them).

·
Federally lic Gun Dealer
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks Bert - but I kinda have my heart set on that M77

·
F.U.B.A.R.
5,584 Posts
I do like the Tikka's that everyone is talking about but there is nothing wrong with the MII Ruger its as sold of an action as any of them and shoots just about as good, esp for a Ruger's price point. The thing I like best with just about any Ruger is there simplicity. Cant argue with something that works good, easy to use, reliable and priced as well as Rugers are.

·
Enjoy the Ride
2,512 Posts
If it walks on the North American continent. It has died at the hands of a 30-06. The loading capabilities of the 06 are endless. From 55-220 gr. That being said, the 308 is hard to beat as well.

Pick one, shoot it, have fun with it, next year pick another. Guns are like mods, just one ain't enough.

·
Federally lic Gun Dealer
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)

·
Federally lic Gun Dealer
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
O.K. guys I really appriciate all this input - it is helping me
get a clear vision of what I should do.

I have a dealer that has two guns on auction at the same time:
1) Ruger M77 All weather Hawkeye (7mm Rem) stainless / synth stock and Nikon Pro Staff 3-9x40 scope

2) Marlin 981TS (.22) stainless / synth stock with CenterPoint 3-9x32 Red/Gen illuminated scope

If they don't go up much higher - I can get them BOTH for around $600.00
Well guys it took a couple of weeks and some sweating it out till the auctions were finally over
and I got BOTH guns for $581.00 - Sweet Deal - IMO

The Marlin 981TS (.22).................

The Ruger M77-II / SS (7MM)....................

I think I got a bargin.........................

21 - 40 of 54 Posts