Grizzly Riders Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the welding gets tough they seek.....El Dee!!!!!!!!!

3 options and they have all been posted....New cases....weld that sukka...or epoxy...The epoxy will hold fine if properly applied....prep will be the same as welding so I'd probably weld it...Gonna be some painful tear down for sure...As I always say though.....The only ones who have no worries about effin' things up are the ones who never do a damn thing...Sooner rather than later things are ahh gonna get effed up...Fixin it...now that's where the experience comes from....Hoping the pipe dope gets you buy for a while....I've some Aviation Grade Permetex that may just seal it...Car Quest has it...The hole should be 100% clean and free of oil for best results....Good Luck thedevil1
El Dee you right on the money..He could mix up some epoxy and glass it in..

Hmmm permatex glad you mentioned that. I will get some from my unit (i work on helicopters in the guard i have drill thus weekend) this weekend and try it if the dope don't work.

I also thought about trying to find a plug that would fit in there. One that is same threads and about 1/8 in long with an allen head, put it in as far as I can and put bolt in on top of it.
Pamiller if you do the plug thing like a set screw with allen head take a small piece of wire and bend the end so you can get it inside the hole and measure the depth so you don't run in the set screw too deep or let it fall inside the motor, just a heads up to think about this as i'm sure you have a lot on your mind ya don't need another headache to worry about. Good luck on the fix and let us know how it goes next week!

Discussion starter · #23 ·
I'm goin to redcreek this weekend if I can get it to hold. I bought some permatex aviation sealant. Tonight I'm gonna take the screw out and drain the oil out that way then tilt it on it's side for a lil while and flush it with some desiel fuel. Then tilt it the other way and clean the threads. Then put it back together and let it's sit until Thursday them put oil in and see how it goes. Hopefully that will last long enough for me to make up my mind on a permanent fix.

clean the hole real good. JB weld a stud in the hole and use a nut on the cover.

Reactions: AZ08Grizz
Discussion starter · #25 ·
clean the hole real good. JB weld a stud in the hole and use a nut on the cover.
My only thought is how well will jb weld hold?

The evel one

Just make sure and shoot a little brake cleaner in there after the diesel....in the threads...regular rubbing alcohol will work also....Clean the bolt threads also!!

JB is JB....My brand is Fusor...However Fusor requires a special dispensing gun...Kinda pricey but I used it today too secure some trim on a door panel and it helped sell the car...Permetex makes 2 part epoxy that comes in a tube ready too use...I'd go that route if epoxy were used and no Fusor was available..thedevil1thedevil1thedevil1

If the hole is really clean (as in NO oil), then it will hold like a demon. I like the stud idea...good one, Roy!

EDIT: Fusor, huh...may have to check that stuff out. One thing about JB is it is really fussy about mixing. Make sure you are as close to a 50/50 mix as possible and mix it really, really well.

My only thought is how well will jb weld hold?
Doesn't have to be JB weld. There are many 2-part apoxies out there to choose from. Just find one that is oil resistant.

If you clean the threads well including the stud too, apply the apoxy to the stud threads,install and let it cure the proper time you should not have anything to worry about.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Just make sure and shoot a little brake cleaner in there after the diesel....in the threads...regular rubbing alcohol will work also....Clean the bolt threads also!!

I used the permatex last night and I dud use alcohol to clean the threads and new bolt. We use alcohol in aviation to clean everything I figured it would be the best to use. I used a new bolt too but still cleaned it.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Ok so the permatex didn't work either. There was still a very slight drip maybe one or two drops an hr but if oil can get out water can get in.

I tried jb weld this time. I took it all back off again. Cleaned it up real good and sanded everything down. I took the bushing and sand it inside and out then cleaned it with alcohol applied jb weld to it and the hole and put it in. I then took a bolt cut the head off sanded the shaft. Then filled the bushing with jb weld as well as covered the bolt with it and stuck it in to the desired depth. It is now sitting until tomorrow evening when to be put back together. I hope this holds this time. I don't see why or how it wouldn't.

If this don't hold or when it fails if it ever does I am going to get someone to weld a stud in there. That way I don't have to take the case halves apart.

Ok so the permatex didn't work either. There was still a very slight drip maybe one or two drops an hr but if oil can get out water can get in.

I tried jb weld this time. I took it all back off again. Cleaned it up real good and sanded everything down. I took the bushing and sand it inside and out then cleaned it with alcohol applied jb weld to it and the hole and put it in. I then took a bolt cut the head off sanded the shaft. Then filled the bushing with jb weld as well as covered the bolt with it and stuck it in to the desired depth. It is now sitting until tomorrow evening when to be put back together. I hope this holds this time. I don't see why or how it wouldn't.

If this don't hold or when it fails if it ever does I am going to get someone to weld a stud in there. That way I don't have to take the case halves apart.
Yep A good Cast/Aluminum welder should be able to fix it up like new with no probs..Might have to turn your Atv up for him to get in there good..They reall make some sweet penetrating rods for all sorts of applications..I had a wheel fixed on a race dirt bike i had ..After a little maching everthing fit like factory..Cost me 40 bucks ran the crap outa that bike..Just be sure and get a kick butt person that knows there stuff and not some paper holding hack..
Jb weld from my experiance will get hard and brittle after time..I like the fibor Glass Epoxy mix..Its tuff as nails and will not let water in..of course you could silicone the area good..

I have faith that you'll be good with what you did. Also, I congratulate you on not say "ah, good enough' when it was still leaking...like you said, if the oil gets out, water will get in, and that would suck dirty socks on a freshly rebuilt motor.

Let us know what tomorrow brings.

Dang I really thought the Permatex would work. Hopefully this way works for ya.

I would try plumbing epoxy stick for metal and aluminum,
but the hole and surface around needs to be free of any oil or grease.
If Yiu want to try the epoxy stick the surrounding surface has to be roughen with sand paper (like #80 grid), You can use die grinder or dremel to do it. After all the process is done (15-30min-top) that thing is hard like steel. Don't just push it in, build sort of like a cap/plug with it.
Or find the shop that can patch that thing.

The evel one

Dang was the Permetex 2 part epoxy....?

Alcohol dries quickly and leaves no residue...Cleans oil fairly well...

Back in the day we used lots of 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive...Yellow not black and referred to around the shop as Gorilla Snot...I once used it too attach a 12 quart oil pan on a 440...Block/gasket/windage tray/gasket/oil pan...This was in a 71 Demon and I eventually poked a hole in the pan...Even with all the bolts removed that pan was hell too get off....I know the 3M will laugh at oil...Fuel is another story....

Hoping the JB works....thedevil1

Discussion starter · #36 ·
No it was a little white bottle with a brush. It almost worked even with the bolt out it leaked the same as if it was in. I noticed the hole was not were it was supposed to be. When I took the bolt out the threads were stripped, there was no way for it to go in without cross threading it.

The jb weld should hold I put half a tube on it plus it wasn't leaking that bad when I put it on.

People don't realize how great of a oil cleaner plain ole isopropyl alcohol is. We use it on everything works better than any mean degreaser I have used.

Soooo, is it holding???????

I have always used brake cleaner, it cleans,degreases ,dries almost instantly and leaves no residue. It comes in a spray can which helps blast the oil and debri out as you use it.It's a very effective cleaner.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Soooo, is it holding???????
Idk yet I'm at drill and it is at redcreek I don't get off until 2 I will find out shortly after that.

The evel one

Well good luck with that...

The Permetex Thread Sealer probably would have done the job if the threads would have held....

Some brake cleaners don't leave a residue and some do...I use Car Quest's house brand...Others I've used would clear the shop due too the high chemical smell...Nasty!!! I always like too finish with iso alcohol...Cheap and effective...

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.