Grizzly Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Federally lic Gun Dealer
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comming week of 9/13/10 - My install & review to the ModQuad extended (Billet)throttle lever
for the 660 / 700 Grizzlys.

Stay tuned................

·
Federally lic Gun Dealer
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Today I received my new ModQuad throttle lever from Brian out
at NW Extreme Billet (ModQuad) and I want to explain this change over
and install to you.

Many of you may already know that I had a ModQuad throttle on my bike for a while now
and it has proven to be a very nice accessory. The reason I am replacing it with another
lever is that the original levers are made for 660 Raptors and they drop the lever down from
the bottom of the throttle housing approx. 1/2-3/4 inch lower than the stock lever and extend the lever arm out approx. 1 inch longer.

I like to stand up when I crawl up & down difficult terrain and I found that the drop was just a bit too low for my likeing while standing up (my wrist is higher up on the bars and my thumb had to streach to reach the lever properly) but it works very nicely under normal riding conditions.

I contacted Brian at ModQuad and asked to have a custom made lever that was 1/4 inch shorter (not in lever length, but in relation to the bottom of the throttle housing) and he made me one in one day and shipped it out the next - great customer service!

The install is very simple and straight foward, as follows:

First - remove the throttle housing cap, being careful not to lose the little screws or damage the o-ring seal under the cap.

Second - with the fuel off, press the stock thumb lever as far as it will go and use a small needle nose vise grip or pliers to pinch the throttle cabe from returning to the rest position.
[if you use pliers - your going to need a helper cuz your conna run out of hands - jmo]

Third - pop the cable out of the cam asy. and then with an 8mm socket - remove the nylon lock nut and washer on top of the cam plate and set aside.
The stock lever will drop out the bottom of the housing.
There is a nylon bushing that the stock lever slided in and ModQuad supplies a new one - I found that there was less play by reusing my OEM bushing (white) as opposed to using their replacement (black) one.
[You may want to try both to see which works better for your application]

Next - install the new lever in the same way the oem lever cam out.
[there is no need to remove the camplate and return spring if you work carefully]
Once it's installed, you will need to tweak the camplate just a tad to allow the square machined area on top of the shaft to fit the square hole in the cam plate. reinstall the washer and new lock nut.
[Do not over tighten the lock nut as this will jam the throttle - tighten till you feel drag and back off just a tad. You will want enough freeplay to allow the spring to flip the lever back on it's own].

Last - pop the throttle lever back into the cam plate slot, remove whatever you used to pinch the cable and chack for proper lever operation.
I spray a little Lubraplate dry lube inside the housing and reinstall the cap and your done!

lever with bushing:

lever with bushing installed:

Inside of the throttle housing:

Lock nut that needs to be removed:

Installed lever:

As you may have noticed - I dipped the lever thumb pad in Plasti-Coat (liquid rubber dip) avail. at Home depot - works great for this type of application.

This application is for the 660 Grizzly as the 660 Raptors use the same basic lever mechanism.
Those of you that have 700's would need to check the part numbers for the Grizzly lever and the 700 Raptor lever to see if it will work for your particular application.

Weather you want the original ModQuad lever, or one that is 1/2 inch closer to the bars - just contact Brian at ModQuad and discuss you needs with him.

Billet and Performance ATV Parts: Modquad

Thanks & Good Luck!

·
"Diz"
1,731 Posts
Very slick. Nice write-up :sign0098:

·
Federally lic Gun Dealer
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$39.95
I think if you call them and ask to speak to Brian he may offer GR members a discount........

·
Enjoy the Ride
2,512 Posts
I bought the original lever that Jack had, and installed it on my wife's 08 Grizzly 700.

I'm not going to bore everyone with the install details as Jack has covered quite well already. I will say that there is no fuel shut off in the 700's, and I did not remove the cable from the cam assembly. Also there is a recoil spring under the cam plate on the 700's. Keeping a little downward pressure on the plate as you remove the lock nut will prevent the spring from dislodging.

So here are some pictures.

This is the inside of my 09 throttle housing.

I think the ModQuad lever would work on it as well.

Still need to take it for a ride to see if it will help with numb thumb, but it feels good so far.

·
Grizzly Rollover Club
603 Posts
I contacted Brian at ModQuad and asked to have a custom made lever that was 1/4 inch shorter (not in lever length, but in relation to the bottom of the throttle housing) and he made me one in one day and shipped it out the next - great customer service!
I really need something like this since the change over from the 04Kodiak to the 11Grizz is killing my thumb. I have a few questions:

How does this (in height/drop from throttle housing) relate to the stock lever?
How far out does this go into the grip area? Do you have a picture looking directly at the throttle and the grip?

Thanks!

·
Federally lic Gun Dealer
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
DJ
1,299 Posts
The lever part #'s are not the same for '07& '08 700 and '09 550. '09 Grizz 550 and '09-'11 raptor 700 are not the same. So it looks like ModQuad doesn't have a lever that will work in a 550.

·
CTD Out!
7,584 Posts
Forgot all about these. Just checked and the 450 is using the same as the raptor and 660 so I will be ordering one ASAP. Jack how did it feel without the rubber dip on it? They have designs on them and you lose it when you coat it.

·
Federally lic Gun Dealer
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The designs were more like that found on a Harley than a Grizzly so I
wasn't too crazy about it but the rubber dip does improve the feel and
keeps the thumb from slipping off in the water.

if you have higher then stock bars the standard Mod Quad lever should be comfortable
for most. if you have lower bars or like to stand when riding then I suggest asking the
guys at MQ to make you a laver wit ha shorter drop (distance between the bottom of
the housing and the center lie of the thumb pad) - jmo

·
Registered
3 Posts
The lever part #'s are not the same for '07& '08 700 and '09 550. '09 Grizz 550 and '09-'11 raptor 700 are not the same. So it looks like ModQuad doesn't have a lever that will work in a 550.
But in JFER's post, he shows the inside of his 09 700 and it looks the same as his 08 700 which he installed the lever. I checked my parts diagram for the 09 550 and it looks like it has the same guts as the 08 700, except the design of the lever is different at the exposed portion to the rider, not the internal post that goes up into the housing. So I'm confused why it wouldn't work.

Thanks for the replies!

·
DJ
1,299 Posts
The 09 and up 700 and 550 thumb throttle is a new design. The old lever might work. No one has tried it as far I know. The only way to know is buy one and try it. It may be that the shaft lenght is different and if its a tad longer shimming it with washers may work but if its too short you'll be SOL unless they allow you to return it. Also the locating notch at the top of shaft may be slightly different. Who knows? Try one and let us know!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 09 and up 700 and 550 thumb throttle is a new design. The old lever might work. No one has tried it as far I know. The only way to know is buy one and try it. It may be that the shaft length is different and if its a tad longer shimming it with washers may work but if its too short you'll be SOL unless they allow you to return it. Also the locating notch at the top of shaft may be slightly different. Who knows? Try one and let us know!
Agreed.

Thanks...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Been using one of these on my 450 for a few months now, bought the 660 raptor version as the 450 and raptor use the same throttle lever part numbers. On my 450 the throttle seems to be in the same relationship as the stock lever drop wise. Possible design change?
I found on first install it was really twitchy and I found myself 'hunting' on the throttle. As I got used to the touchyness of it I found I had more throttle control and a smoother curve ... for lack of a better way to describe it.
Also, with the stock lever I always found I had my thumb just off the edge of it when riding, now my thumb is firmly squared on the 'thumb pad'.
Since I have a thumb warmer for the winter, the 'sporty' designs disappeared underneath it.

Jrunner - if you can snag a stock throttle lever to try that may cost less than buying the ModQuad lever ... I'd send you mine to try, but shipping from Canada would cost more than the lever is worth.

·
CTD Out!
7,584 Posts
Took some measurements on the stock lever on the 450 and the model I bought. This one... Billet and Performance ATV Parts: Modquad

I measured the drop on both and also from the backside straight from end to end (- sweep)
The OEM Throttle lever model # 1NV-2625G-01-00 that Yamaha seems to use for every sport and utility atv except the YFZ 450 and the 09 to current 550/700, dating back from now all the way back to the 1988 Moto4... lol (geez talk about never updating anything haha) measures....

OEM - Drop = 1 and 1/4 of an inch, Length = 2 and 7/8 inches

Mod Quad - Drop = 1 and 1/2 inches, Length = 3 and 3/4 inches

I don't see how anyone with a 450 can say there isn't a difference in the drop between the 2. Unless they ordered a standard custom lever as a replacement. Worse case at least guys with 09 and up 700s have a base measurement to compare to their stock one now. I looked at the 09up 550/700 part and it does appear to be way different. Doesn't look from the specs sheets that it will work. If someone wants, take yours out and snap a pic and post it up and we can let you know for sure.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't think mine dropped that far down, I'll snap a few pics when I get home off shift. Maybe I'm just remebering it wrong (I work about 500kms from home a week at a time) ... I could swear it wasn't a 3/4" difference between the two I had (got mine off an ebay supplier and not direct from Modquad). Meh, maybe I'm just gettin' old (don't tell the wife, I'll never hear the end of it).
Come to think of it ... I may have rotated my throttle a bit as well, I'll check on it as stated, when I get home.
I do know I like it way better now, and it sits perfectly with where my thumb rests when gripping the throttle side. With the stock lever it always felt like I was reaching for the throttle, or I had to keep repositioning my grip from what felt 'natural'.
Getting used to the more sensitive throttle was the only issue I had with it though (It's like when you hit the brake with your clutch foot in a moment of thoughtlessness). Once you get used to it (just a couple rides for me), the range of throttle control is increased due to the extra sweep allowed by the longer length ... allows a lot more finesse to be used with the throttle I find.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts