Grizzly Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2003 Yamaha grizzly 660
On a trade from ae80 year old man. Will not start he had a wire bypass from the starter relay to the switch. I'm pretty sure I fixed that problem just a blown fuse. It has spark and acts like it wants to crank almost hiccup a little but won't quite get there to crank. Hopefully it's not the CDI trying everything I can before going that route. Really no nothing about the bike. I did check the valves and they were tight so I adjusted them still will not crank what should I do next

·
Registered
33 Posts
When you say "crank", are you talking about the starter turning the engine over? or the engine will not fire. If the engine rolls when the starter is engaged, then I would check for compression. Then if there is compression. check for spark. If there is spark. A little trick I use is to get a spray bottle with a little fuel in it. Remove the air cleaner. Open the throttle all the way. Spray a few shots into the carburetor. (Fuel is very flammable so be careful not to get it anywhere outside the engine and stay clear from the carburetor area when attempting this, should there be a backfire through the carb.) Release the throttle and try starting. If it starts momentarily, chances are your problem is in the fuel system. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I'll try after while and get back to you. I traded for this grizzly and really know nothing about it I had a warrior and always wanted a bigger 4x4 it has 2869 miles on it and was owned by a 80 year old man and he had the sil

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay I didn't put gas in the carb and tried cranking it it turned over and sounded like it was getting faster and faster but still didn't crank it backfired and cought on fire and I blew it out tried starting fluid and it didn't do anything either. Wondering what to do next it sounds like it's almost fast enough to take off but it just ain't getting there.???????

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ment I did put gas in the carb not didn't
Did you verify spark? sounds like there is a spark but not sure if its consistant. Also verify compression. spinning fast could be indication of low compression. After sitting in one spot for a long period of time the valves get a little stuck and dont close all the way causing backfire and low compression. sometimes it will come out of it. But you should do a compression test. I will check back tomorrow as I am leaving for work now. good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry been awhile since I got around to messing with my grizz. Ok I put new plug in and gaped it opened the the carb wide open put some gas in and turned it over and it will give me a back fire but won't start so I'm assuming I have spark, the compression tool I have will not fit so I'm going to have to go get a adapter to check the compression unless y'all got any different ideas I even gave it a shot of starting fluid and it just gave me a bigger louder backfire. Open to any ideas. This is the first bike I've had that has all this stuff on it my warrior was so much easier to figure out and work on thanks in advance for everyone help

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok, seems like you have spark. I'm not a big fan of starting fluid and if your getting a backfire with gas, starting fluid wont make things better. For now I think we can rule out the fuel system. If all is good with the engine and it is just a matter of getting fuel the engine would at least start briefly with no backfire. As for the compression you can remove the spark plug and put your finger in the spark plug hole and try to hold it tight while pushing the starter button. If it pushes your finger off the hole you know you are getting some compression. While not an accurate way to test compression this method can rule out or confirm a no compression condition. I would start to think about possible timing issues. should verify compression first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts