Grizzly Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started my Grizzly 450 all winter once a week. Started consistantly. Kept gas level low and added fresh gas through-out the winter.
A friend told me I should put Non-oxy gas in it over the winter, so late winter I did put in Non-oxy. Since then, it starts, but wont stay running unless I keep the throttle pressed lightly.
Just a coincidence? or does the non-oxy change the air/fuel mix and need an adjustment or something?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Started my Grizzly 450 all winter once a week. Started consistantly. Kept gas level low and added fresh gas through-out the winter.
A friend told me I should put Non-oxy gas in it over the winter, so late winter I did put in Non-oxy. Since then, it starts, but wont stay running unless I keep the throttle pressed lightly.
Just a coincidence? or does the non-oxy change the air/fuel mix and need an adjustment or something?
It might be a regional thing, but I've never heard of non-oxy gas. Here in the PNW, you can get alcohol free gas called "Clear". The advantage is that the alcohol in the standard gasoline will "bind" with water and cause corrosion anywhere it sits for a while.

Are we talking same-same here or are you talking about something else?

trailhead2004

·
Mad Fabricator
227 Posts
If its high octane, it can cause cold starting issues, especially in Fuel Injected machines. Most are programmed to run 87 octane. Non-FI may need carb adjustments to handle higher octane fuel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The short story is that oxygenated fuels have additives that have oxygen as part of their structure. The additional oxygen helps gasoline burn cleaner and reduces soot and unburned hydrocarbons and hence lower pollution. The EPA was controlling how much of what additive was required on a regional basis, but things have shifted a bit since we are seeing E85 compatible engines. The ethanol is an oxygenating compound. MTBE was a common oxygenating compound until the feds mandated ethanol mixes. IIRC there were toxicity concerns with it as well. In my area, it is nearly impossible to find non-ethanol motor vehicle fuel (gasoline). It does "hold" water and can cause problems, especially with older equipment that was not designed for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts