Grizzly Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, new to the board, so sorry if this is in the wrong area.

I'll be ther first to admit, that I havent kept up with my Grizzly like I should, but I changed my oil & filter yesterday and afterwards, I popped off the lid for the air filter.
I was in shock, the filter was drenched in a red fluid... Does anyone know what this is?
There was about 1/4" of fluid in the bottom of the filter box as well.
Here is a picture of the filter (sorry, crappy quality)

BTW, i have a 2008 Grizzly 450 SE Auto 4x4

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Too Deep??? Nah!! Watchis
350 Posts
Looks just like air filter oil to me. Does it feel real slippery and slimy like syrup

Sint frum tha orijinul smert fone

Reactions: Auer Power

·
Registered
230 Posts
If it is red then it is probably K&N Air Filter Oil

There was about 1/4" of fluid in the bottom of the filter box as well.
Just seems like somebody used too much of it ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it is red then it is probably K&N Air Filter Oil

Just seems like somebody used too much of it ...
Okay, Thanks. I will ring the filter out somewhat, and the soak up the excess in the bottom with a rag.
I bought it from the dealer like that... Never been changed.

·
F.U.B.A.R.
5,584 Posts
Correct that looks like K&N oil, question tho is that a foam factory filter tho? If so K&N oil is not a good oil to have on that filter as it does not bond to the foam like it does to gauze type filters! You need to get good filter oil like UNI ASAP!!!

This message is sponsored by the campaign for a 2up Grizzly!!!

·
DJ
1,299 Posts
Clean up the mess in the airbox and wash out the filter with grease cutting dish soap a few times. The foam sock should come off the filter frame for cleaning. Get yourself some "foam filter" oil like PJ1 and work it into the filter saturating it. Don't use too much filter oil just enough to saturate it good then squeeze out any excess oil. Good idea to use some disposable latex gloves during the whole process.

Reactions: Auer Power

·
Registered
150 Posts
All my Yamahas have come from dealers with red filter oil. Best guess is that's what it is. Excess in the air box won't hurt anything but you can clean it out with a rag if you want.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used The Yamaha filter oil when I cleaned and reoiled mine this spring. It's ALOT stickier than the factory oil, almost like glue, very good idea to wear rubber gloves for this job. As sticky as it is, I would say it catches more dirt than the factory oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts