Grizzly Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
471 Posts

Rubberdown Customs 2" inch lift for Grizzly 700/550
rubberdown customs - atv lift kits and accessories When Strength Matters, Do it your self, front and back kits

Order:
Placed order on Monday 9/6/2010. Customer service was very helpful and took order over phone. The cost is $150 for U.S. customers and additional $10 for shipping. She stated that their company is out of Canada but they make two trips a week over the border to Niagara Ney York to ship out order to the U.S. so there is no hold up at customs. They provided me with a USPS tracking number and I received my order on Friday 9/10/2010.

Package:
My order arrived in a medium "Flat Rate Box" in excellent condition. Each of the pieces was wrapped in news paper and was in perfect condition with nothing missing. They did not provide directions but stated this over the phone and provided an email with a link to the directions at Yamaha 700 & 550 Grizzly Lift Kit Instructions! - Rubber Down Customs. The directions through their website are clear and detailed and have clear pictures to assist you in the install. My initial impression of their product is top notch. All pieces are CNC machined, rigid in construction and have a flat black powder coat.

Install:
The install was straight forward and the instructions provided on their web site were accurate. I installed the front first by removing top shock bolts, bolting new brackets with supplied hardware, and re-bolting the shocks to the new mounting location. The instructions say that you may have to remove the shroud on EPS unit but there was no interference with mine at all. The rear install the same as the front. I had to notch my Ricochet A-Arm guards to keep them binding with lower shock area; I don't think this would be a problem if you are running a stock shock.
Front

Rear

Conclusion:
I specifically wanted a lift kit to regain ground clearance I lost with the addition of the Elka Shocks. My ride height with the Elkas was 10 ½ in the front and 10 ¾ in the rear, after the addition of the lift kit the front is now 12 ¾ and the rear is 13 ¾. The lift kit is true to its word and added 2 ¼ inches of ground clearance in the front and 3 inches in the rear. The install was straight forward and can be performed by a novice; on a scale of 1 to 10 on the ease of install I would put it at a 3. As far appearance the lift kit looks great and overall I am pleased with the new appearance. As usual with the addition of any lift kit you will loose handling but gain ground clearance, and for the type of riding I do ground clearance is a bigger priority. I will update this review once I get a good ride in and give a comparison of the before and after. Rubberdown Customs offers the lift for several different makes and models but as far as Yamaha they only offer it for the 700/550 and Rhino. Hopefully they are able to expand their Yamaha line to offer a reasonable priced quality lift kit.

Before

After

·
Federally lic Gun Dealer
4,590 Posts
Nice job Dan!

The bike looks good and Thank you for the review.

Please make sure you double check the nuts after a couple hours of
riding; and let us know how you like the feel of the kit on the trails..............

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
do these lift kits in any way effect the independent suspension angles to hurt the shafts ? sorry if stupid question -- looks so easy, and just brackets why doesnt everyone do this ?

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do these lift kits in any way effet the independent suspension angles to hurt the shafts ? sorry if stupid question -- looks so easy, and just brackest why doesnt everyone do this ?
Any time you change the height of the ATV it will affect the angle on the CV joints. The higher you go the more stress it places on the CV joints which subjects them to higher stress levels. My main reason for the install was to regain the 2 inches I lost with the installation of the Elka Shocks so my axle angles are back to where they were before the new shocks.

·
DJ
1,299 Posts
Any time you change the height of the ATV it will affect the angle on the CV joints. The higher you go the more stress it places on the CV joints which subjects them to higher stress levels. My main reason for the install was to regain the 2 inches I lost with the installation of the Elka Shocks so my axle angles are back to where they were before the new shocks.
NJ, did you have to compress your shocks to get them mounted with the RDC lift? I noticed I had to compress my front shocks (Elka) when I tried to use the RDC lift on my bike which preloads the shock too much so I stuck with my original Xtreme lift where I didn't have that problem.

dwanton1, with these type of lifts you will get more extreme CV angles when the suspension is fully extended. Thats just the way it is!

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NJ, did you have to compress your shocks to get them mounted with the RDC lift? I noticed I had to compress my front shocks (Elka) when I tried to use the RDC lift on my bike which preloads the shock too much so I stuck with my original Xtreme lift where I didn't have that problem.

dwanton1, with these type of lifts you will get more extreme CV angles when the suspension is fully extended. Thats just the way it is!
I had to compress the shock approximately 3/4 of a inch. How do you think the preload will affect the performance of them?

·
DJ
1,299 Posts
I had to compress the shock approximately 3/4 of a inch. How do you think the preload will affect the performance of them?
You may want to lessen the preload adj. on the shock if you have any adj. left to do this. If not, and the ride is too stiff because the top sping is compressed you may be able to get a shorter lower spring from Elka. It's the top spring that helps gives the Elkas the plush ride in the inital part of the shock travel. With the Xtreme lift I only had to compress the shock about 1/8th inch to get them on. BTW, the Xtreme lift has been redesigned to sandwich the original shock mounts just like the RDC lift.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You may want to lessen the preload adj. on the shock if you have any adj. left to do this. If not, and the ride is too stiff because the top sping is compressed you may be able to get a shorter lower spring from Elka. It's the top spring that helps gives the Elkas the plush ride in the inital part of the shock travel. With the Xtreme lift I only had to compress the shock about 1/8th inch to get them on. BTW, the Xtreme lift has been redesigned to sandwich the original shock mounts just like the RDC lift.
AZ thanks for the heads up, u definitely have some room for adjustment on the rears but I have to check on the fronts. I am gonna try to get out for quick ride in the next couple of days to see how it affected the ride.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Looks sweet Dan! Should definitely help with getting over logs and rocks. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.